One of my favorite “radio” shows is Little Steven’s Underground Garage, with which hero Steven Van Zandt makes an important contribution to keeping Rock ‘n’ Roll alive (I made a Spotify playlist with tracks I heard over there; if I don’t know what to listen anymore, this always offers good fun). Every week he plays the best rock and soul music of the past 60 years (Beatles, Stones, Byrds, Yardbirds, Crystals, Ramones, Springsteen, Who, Fleshtones, Kinks, Otis, …), but also new tunes from his own Wicked Cool Records and other labels . The Underground Garage listeners have once again been able to vote which of those new songs they consider the “Coolest Song in the World” of last year. At the top of the 2020 list is 3 from The Weeklings, an American supergroup performing Beatles covers and Beatles-inspired power-pop originals. Below you can see one of the three videos they made for the single (there is also a lyric video and a dance party version). Hey!
Here is the full top 10 Coolest Songs in the World 2020 – the 15th annual listener’s poll – with videos and links to Discogs or Bandcamp (add to wantlist what you like):
1. The Weeklings || 3
2. Green Day || Oh Yeah!
3. The Midnight Callers || 41 Miles To Roscoe
4. The Shadows of Knight || Wild Man
5. L7 || Fake Friends (feat. Joan Jett)
6. Brian Ray || Got A New Thing
7. The Dollyrots || Make Me Hot
8. Michael Des Barres || Anarchy In The UK
9. Nils Lofgren || Don’t Let Your Guard Down
10. Cherie Currie || What Do All The People Know